[mythtv-users] How to setup wakeup from frontend?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Aug 30 14:31:25 UTC 2010

On 08/30/2010 06:27 AM, Craig Huff wrote:
> Jerry,
>
> I have a MBE/FE + 2 remote FEs set up the way you discuss.  The BE
> does not (AFAIK) need to have an FE configured on it to use
> MythWelcome/Shutdown.  You _will_ need (even works through ssh tunnel
> x-forwarded) keyboard, mouse, and video to configure
> MythWelcome/Shutdown (unless you're better than me -- not hard -- and
> can do it with mysql commands).
>
> Here's what I do:
>
>    A) BE runs MythWelcome on startup -- if using MythBuntu this is
> simple: See notes in /etc/mythtv/session-settings.
>    B) BE runs with the appropriate options turned on in
> /proc/acpi/wakeup to allow ethernet wakeup to wake the system up.  I
> had to experiment with the options displayed by "cat
> /proc/acpi/wakeup" to find the right one -- seems to be different on
> each MOBO.  You might also need additional one(s) to enable waking via
> the RTC alarm so the BE will wake up to record shows.  I use a startup
> script in /etc/init.d/XXXXX&&  /etc/rc*.d/SnnXXXXX to make sure this
> is set each startup and shutdown (probably a belt and suspenders
> approach, but it works).
>    C) BE runs ethtool -s eth0 wol g to enable Wake-On-LAN (again using
> startup script)
>    D) Configure MythWelcome from it's pop-up dialogs invoked with 1)
> "i-key" and 2) "F11" key
>    E) Configure Shutdown from mythtv-settings
>
> Then configure (repeat for each separate remote FE):
>    A) FE to run MythWelcome
>    B) FE turns on options in /proc/acpi/wakeup
>    C) FE runs ethtool -s eth0 wol g to enable Wake-On-LAN (handy for
> remote maintenance from the BE or any other ssh-enabled system).
>    D) Configure MythWelcome (settings are defined per system so they
> can be different from one BE, BE/FE, FE to another)
>
> Don't need to repeat Shutdown config.  One size fits all, so consider
> the settings in that light.  I set shutdown delay long enough so a
> remote FE can use WOL to wake up the BE and have a chance to connect
> to mythbackend before it (the BE) decides it has waited long enough
> and shuts back down.  You also have to tell the FE (again via
> mythtv-setup) to wake up the mysql server (same as the BE for me)
> often enough and long enough so it is still trying when the BE gets up
> to speed and 1) is listening on the ethernet, and 2) has
> mythbackend/mysql running for the FE to connect to.
>
> Also, think about how long it takes your BE to wake up and be ready to
> record and dial the wake up lead time in mythtv-settings with some
> safety margin.
>
> I use ext3 partitions for my disk, so occasionally it wants to fsck
> them on boot up.  To prevent this from happening when it is booting up
> to record a show and delay the start of the recording I check to see
> if it is due soon and modify the end-of-recording-session shutdown to
> create the force-fsck flag file (don't remember it's name ATM) and do
> a shutdown -r instead of shutdown -h (or in my case hibernating) so it
> [...]

Craig,
This has an awesome amount of info in it. Would you please consider
expanding it, to include the details and posting it as a wiki page? Or
add the details to the existing wiki page?
Most of this IS a matter of getting the details right, especially the
scripts which must be run. But there are 5 or 6 separate things which
must be correct, in order, for things to work. You appear to have got
them all in order.

Geoff

Who must go and read about mythwelcome now....

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury