[mythtv-users] mythtv / linux problem with horizontal cutting seen on playback

Michael Cook michaelcook_mjc at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 13:54:41 UTC 2010

Not sure what the right technical term is but I have everything working well except in scenes with high speed panning, motion I see horizontal lines cutting up the picture.

In scenes like panning across a hockey arena during a hockey game I see either blurred or jerky panning presumably because processing has got too much for Mythtv.  It is blurred or jerky depending on whether I select XvMC or ffmpeg&Xvideo.

I have tried adjusting some of the settings under MythTv frontend TV playback but nothing seems to help the cutting.  I also see this when playing ISOs or similar on XMBC client onthe same computer.

Below is the specs I have gathered from the computer and was hoping someone might be able to tell me which of the elements/drivers/settings or applications are mostly likely
 involved.

Host Machine: Dual Core with 4Gb RAM
Graphics Card: GeForce 9400 GT 195.36.24
Capture Card:  Hauppage HVR-1800
TV: Panasonic TH 50P*9 50inch plasma using the PC input

Ubuntu Lucid with the latest drivers, and mythtv installed via synaptic
Linux mediapc 2.6.32-24-generic-pae #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 19 02:43:57 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Is there something specifically to configure XvMC or ffmpeg as I've found very little info on these drivers/libraries/utilities?

Any advice very much welcome!