[mythtv-users] How to setup wakeup from frontend?

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 03:31:41 UTC 2010

All the talk lately about power saving has motivated me to investigate
altering my configuration so that the backend shuts down when it's not in
use.  My system consists of a MBE-only machine and a FE-only machine.  As
far as recording, the shutdown and automatic wakeup of the MBE looks like it
should be fairly straightforward; the functionality seems to be built in,
and all I need to do is configure the settings correctly.

That takes care wakeup and shutdown based on when shows are scheduled for
recording and commflagging.  But what about when someone wants to use the
frontend to watch something?  I'd like to make it possible for the the user
to press a button on the remote control and have the FE and MBE computers
wake up out of hibernate.  How much of this is possible:

1. Have a signal received on a USB IR receiver wake the frontend computer
out of hibernate?
2. Have the frontend computer then wake up the MBE computer out of
hibernate.
3. The reverse process - pushing a button on the remote which causes both
the backend and frontend machines to hibernate.

I looked at the wiki entry on mythwelcome, but this seems to assume a
combined FE/BE and mythwelcome seems to assume the BE is active when it is
running.  But perhaps I'm not understanding it.

Thanks,
Jerry