[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Prime with MythTV

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Aug 29 19:41:45 UTC 2010

On 08/29/2010 10:11 AM, bhaskins wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>>> I'm pretty sure that's illegal. The WHOLE POINT of cablecard was so
>>> that you could buy your own box and rent a cablecard to use it. You
>>> should check the actual FCC regulations and file a complaint.

Take a look at the on-line Consolidated Federal Regulations,
specifically Title 47 part 75 section 1204.

The 'navigation device' referred to in that section IS a set top box
etc. and that section seems to prohibit the cable-co from selling an
access device which incorporates OTHER functions, and prohibits the
cableco from denying the user the right to use his own unit.

The OP should start by visiting the nearest FBI office, or the office of
the US Attorney. (Helps if you have to escalate to the Congress-critter
or the media, if you can say..."I pointed out that this was illegal and
they said...'Meh'"

IANALITUSA

Geoff