[mythtv-users] Salvaging myth database after crash (latin1?)

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sun Aug 29 13:05:44 UTC 2010

On 08/28/10 14:48, Dale Pontius wrote:
> Same system as other post.  It's crashed, but I managed to get most of
> my information back, and it looks as if all that I'm missing is the very
> last mythdb backup, apparently because the crash happened then.
>
> I have my entire media directory, and appear to have the /var/lib/mysql
> directory where MySQL keeps the binary form of the database.

Recovering the binary database didn't work.  I was able to start mysql,
and it accepted the binary database, but mythconverg had some fairly
significant corruption.

I had a lot of trouble recovering from my backup.  My backup script goes
way back, and was never distributed with mythtv, rather gotten from a
forum somewhere.  Nor did mythconverg_restore.pl like much of anything
else about my backups.  Eventually I had to bunzip2 my backup, drop the
database, and I was able to restore the uncompressed database with
"--create-database" along with "--directory" and "--filename" options.
On this new setup, I'm going to grab new scripts for backup, restore,
cron jobs, etc from /usr/share/mythtv.

Things are mostly working.  I can't connect yet from a remote client,
but it's been so long since I set this up that I've forgotten the steps.
 I guess it's time to RTFM.  I did check, and have mysql listening on a
network socket instead of loopback, and the local client is able to
connect "the same old way", no reconfiguration.

Back to the grind,
Dale