[mythtv-users] MythTV keeps wanting to record the same episode

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Aug 28 05:35:20 UTC 2010

  On 08/27/2010 11:55 PM, Ozzy Lash wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:38 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Because the first three episodes were deleted with, "Delete and allow to
>> re-record."  Or the first three episodes were auto-expired (from some
>> recording group other than the Deleted recording group) instead of deleted
>> (or deleted to the Deleted recording group).
> I'm trying to parse that last sentence, and if I understand correctly,
> are you saying that anything that gets auto-expired from any group
> other than the Deleted recording group (even, say, the Default group)
> it will get re-recorded, even if it was watched?  I thought it used to
> be that if you watched something (or marked it as watched) and it
> auto-expired it would not record again.

If you disable the setting

Re-record Watched
If set, programs that have been marked as watched and are auto-expired
will be re-recorded if they are shown again.

then watched shows won't be re-recorded.

> This may explain some recordings that I am seeing get recorded again,
> even though I know I have watched it before.  I was thinking it was
> because it was now available in HD, and I had recorded it in SD before
> or something like that.  I notice it a lot on Mythbusters and Man v
> Food, and a few other shows, but others seem to work the way I
> expected.

That may be due to other changes or to having recorded "generic"
episodes one of the times.  MythTV will always record generic episodes
since it doesn't know which episode is airing--meaning it may be one you
haven't seen.  Or, it may be that they're actually different versions of
the same episode with some amount changed, as discussed in a thread not
too long ago.

Mike