[mythtv-users] X display corruption with PVR card enabled (and slow!)

Jeff Heisz jmheisz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 16:13:32 UTC 2010

Hi, I'm trying to put together a front/backend server system for
MythTV.  I'm in the experimental stage where I'm trying different
settings/installations to see what selections I'm going to make in the
end.

I've been following various descriptions on the web to try to set up
the capture card and test my antenna placement/alignment.  Here's some
specs:

AMD Athlon X4 2.9GHz/4Gb RAM (should be lots of oomph)
No separate graphics card (TBD, for now, using onboard)
Hauppauge 2250-PVR
Ubuntu 10.04 (32 bit), Standard Ubuntu desktop (I'll see about
reducing the GUI installation later).

In trying to set up the capture card (which of course wasn't working
straight out of the box), module was loading in kernel fine, needed
firmware.  As soon as I loaded the firmware, the card started working
but the X display became corrupted.  It still comes up, but is
unusable as every action on the display (opening menus, etc) displays
a dynamic noise pattern that contains random horizontal lines.  I'm
not sure what the cause is, it looks like there's some sort of
resource conflict, but I'll need to get the display straightened out
if I'm going to install/use the MythTV frontend.

If I run mplayer with a dvb:// source to a suitable channel (ssh into
the box), the picture appears without the associated noise.  But
mplayer starts to complain about my system being too slow to display
the video, that might be related problem or it might be a crappy
source.

jmh