[mythtv-users] Blu-ray playback in XBMC (Lifehacker)

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 15:55:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 8:29 AM, <boehm100 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I thought Mythtv  understood the Blu-ray file structure but did not
>> understand commercial disks.  The link in the previous message was used for
>> viewing commercial disks.  This, I believe, is new and a very exciting
>> feature.
>>

> MythTV does not include decryption code.
>
> It does, however, make use of external decryption libraries when the user
> has them installed, just like DVD playback.  I am able to watch all of my
> Blu-ray films straight from the disc, in Myth.  Granted, my discs are
> slightly older and don't use BD+, but libbdplus is maturing as well.
>
> Robert

I also meant to mention that as of last night, thanks to the hard work of
Chris Pinkham, Blu-ray, DVD, and ISO playback via storage group is now
possible, meaning you can house all of your discs all across your backends,
using storage groups, and adding new frontends will "just work" with no
additional configuration, and no network mounts required.  Add to that the
fact that we are dangerously close to being able to do HDMV menus in
blu-ray, you can switch between titles on Blu-ray in Myth, Myth has
multi-angle, proper subtitle and audio track handling... and using some hack
to stream a title to XBMC is a tough sell.

Robert