[mythtv-users] How to disable screen blank/screensaver on MythBuntu 10.04?

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Wed Aug 25 18:36:43 UTC 2010

  On 08/23/2010 05:04 AM, Craig Huff wrote:
> My remote front end keeps going off and blanking the screen or
> starting up a screensaver when Mythwelcome or Mythfrontend is running
> and often locks up so it has to be rebooted.
>
> I have tried googling, but... there's either not enough information or
> too much to sift through.  Here's hoping someone here can point me in
> the right direction.
>
> I am running the default xfce desktop, not gnome, kde, ...
>
> I tried just commenting out the xscreensaver invocation in the
> /etc/xfce... path -- can get exact location if needed -- but it still
> went to a blank screen.
>
> I haven't even figured out yet what does the screen blanking.
>
> How do I either train these two functions to stay asleep when
> Mythwelcome and/or Mythfrontend are running _no matter what_ or stop
> them from ever running?
>
> Craig.

X has built-in monitor power management, but it usually gets disabled by
a desktop environment power manager program, since they like to control
things themselves.

But if you're not running a desktop environment, to control the power
settings with X, man xorg.conf and look for DPMS.  You can add something
like this to your xorg.conf file:

Section "ServerFlags"
     Option "BlankTime" "0"
     Option "StandbyTime" "0"