[mythtv-users] Foxconn NVIDIA ION system and 2G ram stick at newegg

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 19:34:05 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Scott Alfter <scott at alfter.us> wrote:

> On 23 Aug 10 06:56, Dan Wilga wrote:
> > While it's true that the Foxconn does require 4 Gb of RAM in order to
> > allocate 512 Mb to video, it's open to debate whether or not VDPAU
> > actually requires that much RAM when the system uses an IGP.
> >
> > I am able to play 1080i .mkv or MP2 video using the VDPAU Slim profile
> > on my Foxconn box. However, it does eventually lock up the system (as
> > does pretty much any kind of video). According to one of nVidia's techs,
> > the problem is most likely not the lack of RAM, though.
>
> FWIW, I've not had any lock-up problems with an Acer Aspire Revo 1600.
>  It's
> still running on the stock 1GB of RAM, streaming HD H.264 and MPEG-2 over
> 802.11a until the driver for the WiFi dongle I bought is fixed to support
> 802.11n.  The worst that happens is stuttering due to WLAN congestion;
> moving
> to 802.11n should fix that.  (802.11a is already an improvement over
> 802.11g,
> at least.)  I've not had any crashes attributable to VDPAU...for that
> matter, I
> don't recall having any crashes with it at all.

I love my Revo, best $200.00 I've spent In my mind.  Although I'm using
Ethernet and not WiFi, so no congestion problems.  Plus Flash 10.1 I can
watch Hulu Desktop and, yea the CPU is like 85%, but the video isn't
choppy.  It's very nice.  Now once the CrystalHD drivers are putinto myth,
hope my AppleTV does much better playing video.

> Scott Alfter
> scott at alfter.us

Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell