[mythtv-users] Superserver

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Aug 24 19:28:49 UTC 2010

  On 8/24/2010 14:59, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> I am hoping the CAT6 for remote HDMI works well.  I just paid a grand
> to have that put into a house I am having built.  This will allow me
> to have all FE/BE in the basement.  The cable runs are around 50feet
> typically.  I bought some dual cat6 ---> HDMI adapters from monoprix
> for pretty cheap.

50ft HDMI cables are pretty easy to come by, and they're easily as cheap
as 100ft of CAT6 and some adapters.  Also remember that HDMI is a
shielded twisted pair cable.  You're trading one STP cable rated for
10gbps for two UTP cables rated 1gbps each.

For $1000, plus whatever you need to spend on four video cards on your
backend, and a board to support four video cards, you could easily put
together four dedicated machines to sit next to the TVs.