[mythtv-users] Superserver

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 24 18:41:02 UTC 2010

  On 08/24/2010 02:34 PM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> Time for a whole new setup.
>
> My goal is to reduce power consumption and # of computers.
> I have one backend now and 4 frontends.
>
> I am thinking I would like to use one superserver ( 8 cpu, lots of
> disk, and 8+gigs of RAM ), and try to reduce the # of computers.
>
> Uses also include a NoMachine server for Family use.
>
> I am thinking that I would like to use VMware or VirtualMachine but
> that causes problems.
> Does anyone have any ideas for how to combine some or all of this?
>
> A frontend dedicated just for a Nvidia 210 forf HDMI for each TV seems
> wastefull.  The MythBackend could also be a frontend, but that is only
> one gone.
>
> Any ideas from anyone or experiences on what might work?

Want to reduce power consumption?  Set up your systems so that all of
them (potentially even including the backend server) shut down when not
in use.  You'll likely use less power than you would with any
superserver concept--and you won't have to work hard to get the power
savings (as you would trying to run multiple X servers and distribute
video appropriately if you really combining frontends would be worthwhile).

Mike