[mythtv-users] "prompt for media" script and MythTV 0.23: not working

Alan Murrell lists at murrell.ca
Tue Aug 24 03:11:59 UTC 2010

I am using Mythbuntu 10.04 with MythTV 0.23.  I have a directory with
filenames of all my DVDs which are actually symlinks to a script called
"prompt_for_media.sh", which I believe I got off the wiki or in the
mailing list archives.

Basically I use MythTV to "catlog" my DVD collection and be able to play
a DVD if I like.  The "prompt_for_media.sh" script just simply ejects
the DVD drive tray and a box comes up on the screen asking for the "Such
and Such" DVD (based on what the file name is.  e.g., "2012", "Bourne
Identity", etc.)

I haven't actually tried to play a DVD since my upgrade a month or two
back, but I did on the weekend.  When I clicked on the movie then
clicked "Play", nothing happened.  I looked in my "mythfronted.log" and
found entries such as this one:

--- START ---
bash: myth://Videos@10.215.1.2:6543/dvd/2012.dvd: No such file or directory
--- END ---

I recognize the 'myth://Videos@10.215.1.2' "url" as being part of the
"Storage Groups" setup (or at least I think I recognize it as such), and
I suspect that this is the reason it is not working.

I have posted the "prompt_for_media.sh" script below; is there a way to
get it to work with "Storage Groups" or am I out of luck on that front
(regardless, I will likely still continue to add my non-ripped DVDs to
MythTV as a way of "cataloging" them at least)

NOTE: I did run it from the command line on my MythTV box (e.g.,
"/mythtv/videos/dvd/2012.dvd") and it worked fine; it just seems that
from MythTV frontend it does not work.

Thanks, in advance, for any insight you might be able to share on this.

-Alan

--- prompt_for_media.sh ---
#!/bin/bash

MEDIA_TYPE=$1
FILE_NAME=$2
promptPath="/mythtv/scripts/prompt_for_media"
#XINE="/mythtv/scripts/xine"
XINE="/usr/bin/xine"

# Find the name of the disc
case "${MEDIA_TYPE}" in
         DVD)
                 DISC_NAME=`basename "${FILE_NAME}" .dvd`
                 ;;
         CD)
                 DISC_NAME=`basename "${FILE_NAME}" .cd`
                 ;;
         VCD)
                 DISC_NAME=`basename "${FILE_NAME}" .vcd`
                 ;;
esac

DISC_NAME=`echo "${DISC_NAME}" | sed "s/_/ /g"`

# Prompt the user to insert the disc
xterm -xrm "xterm*allowSendEvents: true" -bg NavyBlue -fg White +sb -fs
48 -fn 12x24 -geometry 40x7+600+300 -e ${promptPath}/prompt "Please
insert ${MEDIA_TYPE}:" "${DISC_NAME}"

# Play the disc
case "${MEDIA_TYPE}" in
         DVD)
                 sleep 3
                 ${XINE} --no-splash --auto-play=fhq --auto-scan dvd
                 ;;
         CD)
                 sleep 3
                 ${XINE} --no-splash --auto-play=fhq /media/cdrom0
                 ;;
         VCD)
                 sleep 3
                 ${XINE} --no-splash --auto-play=fhq --auto-scan vcd
                 ;;
esac