[mythtv-users] do we need a vido configuration tester

Andrew Barbaccia andrew.barbaccia at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 19:47:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Dan Wilga <
mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:

> On 8/23/10 1:33 PM, Andrew Barbaccia wrote:
>
>> I think it would be useful to have a utility that helps determine the
>> performance of the various de-interlacers on your hardware.
>>
>> I would imagine something built into the frontend that would test playback
>> at a few different resolutions with various de-interlacers and spit out a
>> log of the results. This would help quickly determine which is the best
>> de-interlacer to use for your setup, and where to make the cutoffs.
>>
>> I'm just speculating here, but I find myself going between LiveTV and the
>> TV Playback setup very frequently attempting to tweak my settings. I could
>> also see these logs being used to create a hardware performance database.
>>

> I would wholeheartedly agree. I don't know what the UI for this would look
> like, though, as there are so many options one might want to tweak between
> playback attempts. You'd have to re-create much of what's already there on
> those 3 or 4 pages.
>
> By the way, one thing I've found helpful in the past is to run two copies
> of MFE on the same machine. One stays at Watch Recordings, and the other is
> used to tweak the settings. Alt-Tab back and forth between the two. It's
> still a lot of laborious Return keypresses to keep hitting those Next
> buttons in the UI, though.
>
> --
> Dan Wilga                                                        "Ook."

Dan,

I never thought of using two frontends - nifty trick though.

If I were king for a day...

Drop down to select video renderer (i.e. VDPAU)
Text box to specify options (i.e. vdpaubuffersize=32)
Number of CPUs to use
Directory of video clips you want to test
Number of seconds / test

Then a big button that says "Go".

The system would then run through all the deinterlacers for each of the
clips specified for the duration stated above. Detailed log files would be
dumped to the log directory already provided within setup. Lots of
information could be reported like list of errors, average CPU load, total
dropped frames, audio buffer under run, was the test successful, etc.

Anyone else have some thoughts on this?