[mythtv-users] Fuppes, PS3MediaServer and NUV files

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Aug 23 13:50:26 UTC 2010

On Monday, August 23, 2010 07:38:40 am Phill Edwards wrote:
> > I don't think the question is whether a UPnP server can "play" a file, no
> > such server plays anything, it just serves them up to a connected UPnP
> > control point/renderer.
> > Some will transcode on the fly to something your player can deal with,
> > but the ultimate question is the capability of whatever you are trying
> > to use to watch the files. If the player can play the file, then it
> > should work with just about any server.
>
> Well I'm confused now. I have read that XBox360 can't play MPEG2 files
> - unless they're served up by a media server such as Windows Media
> Centre or something similar (such as PS3MediaServer). So if the
> playability rests with the XBox360 which can't play MPEG2 files, how
> come it can play them if they come from a media server? Sorry if I'm
> being dumb here, I'm just finding the information about playing MythTV
> recordings on an XBox360 a little confusing!

I'm certainly no expert, but I've used an XBOX-360 to play files from Mediatomb and PlayOn, both of which transcode to
MPEG2-PS on the fly.

The problem I had was with PVR-150 recordings, apparently they were at too high a bitrate for the 360 to handle. This was
with the PVR card maxed out on bitrate.

The XBox saw the files and tried to play them, you could *almost* watch them, but they broke up regularly.

The 360 can certainly play at least some MPEG2 files, it wouldn't be able to handle DVDs if it couldn't. The problem is
"MPEG2" is not so much a "standard" as it is a blueprint for confusion, given the high number of variables the "standard"
includes.

It should be able to play any DVD-compliant MPEG2 files, no matter how they get to it.