[mythtv-users] OT: All-in-one as a frontend

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Mon Aug 23 13:33:14 UTC 2010

On 8/21/10 9:12 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> If you can, check if it has the same problem as the FoxConn, which
> apparently
> needs 4GB of RAM in order to allocate sufficient memory to VDPAU.

While it's true that the Foxconn does require 4 Gb of RAM in order to
allocate 512 Mb to video, it's open to debate whether or not VDPAU
actually requires that much RAM when the system uses an IGP.

I am able to play 1080i .mkv or MP2 video using the VDPAU Slim profile
on my Foxconn box. However, it does eventually lock up the system (as
does pretty much any kind of video). According to one of nVidia's techs,
the problem is most likely not the lack of RAM, though. See this thread
if you're really interested:

and, specifically, this post:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2247190&postcount=3

According to other posts I've read, if lack of video memory really was a
problem, I'd be seeing error messages and poor quality upon playback,
which I am not--just the eventual lockup, which is most likely unrelated.