[mythtv-users] Advice on LIRC blaster and receiver ?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Aug 22 20:41:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Paul <paul at paulhurley.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to setup a combined FE/BE in my lounge to grab stuff from my sky box.
>  For a blaster I have thought of building a combined serial one, but a few
> posts I've seen suggest that might be problematic.  What have others done ?
>
> Other options are the IguanaWorks USB blaster.  Anyone else have any
> experience with this ?

As I've said in umpteen other replies to this same question on this
list, the answer is "get an MCEUSB transceiver". :)

They're supported out of the box by most distros, including a new
hotness in-kernel mceusb driver in 2.6.36. They're cheap. They have
great reception range. They have two blaster ports. The driver is
quite well maintained by a rather responsive maintainer (aka "me").
Etc. The only real quirk I'm aware of is that certain models don't
behave well with older kernels on specific usb chipsets, but all four
I have exhibit no problems with several different usb chipsets and
recent kernels.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com