[mythtv-users] HRHR and HDPVR line up clash

Ron Garrison ron.garrison at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 05:46:30 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>  On 08/21/2010 10:21 AM, Ron Garrison wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Douglas Peale wrote:
>>>
>>> You need separate lineups in MythTV, but they can share a Schedules
>>> Direct lineup if the two mythTV lineups are subsets of the
>>> Schedules Direct linup.
>>
>> Correct - The "mythtv lineups" are the video sources in mythtv-setup.
>
> Yes, thank you for correcting terminology.  :)
>
> MythTV Video Source - a unique list of channels available through an
> input(s) in MythTV
> Schedules Direct lineup - a list of channels from a specific provider
> (cable/satellite company, OTA, ...) that are available (in part or in full)
> to one or more MythTV video sources
>
>> So you would create one video source and call it something like HDHR
>> and assign it to you single shedulesdirect lineup.  You would then
>> create a video source and call it something like HDPVR and assign it
>> to the same schedulesdirect lineup.
>>
>> When you run mythfilldatabase you need to use the
>> --remove-new-channels option to prevent mythtv from adding the
>> channels from one mythtv lineup (source)  that don't exist in the
>> other lineup.
>>
>> The downside is if there really is a new channel added to the
>> schedulesdirect lineup it won't be added automatically to you mythtv
>> lineup.  You will need to do it manually.
>
> Though mythfilldatabase will /never/ automatically add new channels to a
> video source that's connected only to a digital capture device.  The HD-PVR
> is an analog capture device, so mythfilldatabase will add new channels to a
> video source connected to the HD-PVR.  The HDHR, however, is digital--and
> requires a channel scan to add new channels.
>
> Therefore, since your HD-PVR can likely get /all/ channels for which you've
> paid, and only the HDHR needs a subset of the channels in your SD lineup,
> you likely don't need --remove-new-channels.
>
> If, however, you choose to remove some channels from the HD-PVR video source
> (so you don't "waste" the HD-PVR recording something from a channel
> available on another video source), then you would need
> --remove-new-channels so that mythfilldatabase doesn't just add the channels
> back to the (analog) HD-PVR video source.
>
> Mike

Ahh -- thanks, I didn't know about the digital channels not being
added.  In my setup I have a subset of the hdpvr channels using the
DTA's (i.e. analog) so I guess that I do need the
--remove-all-channels, but in JR's case above it sounds like he does
not.  Thanks again for that clerification.

Ron