[mythtv-users] Hope for ATI Cards???

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 20:32:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Douglas Peale
<Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
<snip>

> ATI does good hardware, but they suck at software. I have an ATI HDTV wonder because a friend of mine tried to use it in
> windows, and gave it to me in disgust.
>
> I have ATI HD4850 card in my system. Although it did not work well at first, since 10.04 video has worked fine with the open
> source driver. In previous versions, the proprietary driver worked better, but never fully correct. 3D is slower with the open
> source driver, but beyond google earth, I don't use 3D much.

My experience exactly...  At least the 2d is better (although still
very cpu intensive) now....  The guys working on it are real good
people too (phoronix forums) - but they do have _a lot_ of ground to
make up...  Even the fglrx proprietary driver is crap for the most
part...  Funny how the two teams are not even allowed to share code
even though they all work for amd....

One of the reasons I just bought a quad core intel versus an amd chip!!!