[mythtv-users] Hope for ATI Cards???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Aug 21 20:16:23 UTC 2010

On Saturday, August 21, 2010 02:03:34 pm Greg Oliver wrote:

> > means. Of course there is a lot of misinformation out there. I clicked
> > on a "What is Open Source" link on the Ubuntu site, and the explanation
> > started out "It is sponsored by Canonical...". I reported this to the
> > Free Software Foundation, thinking they would be upset about such an
> > explanation of OSS, but their response was that they didn't care about
> > "non-free" software, though I did notice that page changed in a day or
> > two.
>
> Yep, that is a definite true statement for the _purist_ in
> open-source/foss, whatever you want to refer to it as..  I _try_ to
> support the movement when I can, but like all good things in life,
> there are choices.  the nvidia module is a prime example - it makes
> the linux multimedia experience very real. without it (nouveau, eg),
> and you get the ati experience (well, as of 6 months ago)  :)

Quite true. I'd like to be a "purist", but unfortunately the OSS is not quite there yet. If I can do something I need/want
to do (like VDPAU), and still not break the rules, I will do so.

OSS has certainly made great strides, only 15 years ago I had to purchase a commercial X server to get anything beyond
frame buffer performance on an ATI card, and things like sound cards and CD drives were a total crapshoot. Now the things I
have to become "impure" to do are down to a very small list, though unfortunately a couple of them are Myth-related.