[mythtv-users] Optical drive selection at Frontend startup

Jason Chambers lists at purplish-monkey.com
Sat Aug 21 14:39:06 UTC 2010

On 21/08/2010 14:28, Friedrich Clausen wrote:
> I have a USB DVD drive (/dev/scd0 symlinked to /dev/sr0) and a USB
> hard disk (/dev/sr1 - not used for Myth storage) plugged into my
> combined FE/BE machine. When I start up the frontend MythTV seems to
> think that the external USB drive is also an optical disk drive.

Probably because the sr driver is the driver for CDROMs.  I've never
seen a (non-optical) usb-drive appear as a sr* device before.  Is that
how your system originally showed it by default, or did you make some
adjustments to udev or something?

> It then asks me which one to use in a "select CD drive" dialogue box
> at startup. Is there anyway I can permanently tell the Frontend to
> only use /dev/scd0 as the optical drive? Some info
>
> OS - Debian Lenny

Excellent choice.  Take two bonus points ;-)

> Mythfrontend - 0.23-fixes r25579
> Mythbackend - 0.23-fixed r25579
> DVD Drive - LG Super Multi DVD rewriter
> USB HDD - Western Digital Technologies, Inc. My Passport Essential SE

There are settings under MediaSettings for MythVideo and MythMusic to
specify the device to use.  By default they should be both set to
"default" so Myth has to work it out, but have you tried changing them
to point to "/dev/scd0" instead?

Also if you use MediaMonitor (under General Settings) there is a setting
where you can specify devices to ignore.  I'm not sure how this setting
interacts with the ones above.  Do this make any difference for you?

Regards,
Jason