[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Prime with MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Aug 20 19:39:35 UTC 2010

On Friday, August 20, 2010 01:33:04 pm Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > Except that it's the Camel's nose in the tent, it admits that there are
> > legitimate reasons for breaking the DMCA, and especially that therefore
> > discussions of circumvention technology are legitimate.
>
> But it's not new.  The concept of the allowed list of reasons for
> circumvention has been there since the start of the DMCA.  The news
> was that the list was significantly lengthened (from ridiculously
> short all the way up to extremely short).  (And, technically,
> bypassing a lock for one of the reasons on the list isn't breaking the
> DMCA.  The list indicates legitimate reasons for breaking locks, not
> laws.)
>
> The other problem is that even the presence of items on the list
> doesn't remove the prohibitions on trafficking in circumvention tools,
> as far as I understand it.

So how is the educator who needs clips for a legitimate purpose supposed to
get the clips?

Most people are not like GE, who had the in-house ability to break the locks
on their UPS systems.

At least it's finally been acknowledged that the ridiculous "point a camcorder
at a screen" method is not practical (at least I think it has).