[mythtv-users] Combined Atom FE/BE /w GT220 ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Aug 19 14:51:07 UTC 2010

On Thursday 19 August 2010 08:39:30 jedi wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:08:11PM -0700, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> > > Don't know exactly. My backend box is a core 2 quad, and I have all
> > > commflagging done there.
> >
> > I meant to also ask about Flash playback in case I ever want to use
> > hulu or flash with mythnetvision.  Do you have a basis to compare
> > there?
>
>     Flash? Flash for stuff like Hulu is unusable on an ION box.
>
>     On Linux, all Flash decoding is done in software including things that
> could have been partially done in hardware on older hardware. For Hulu, you
> need to get something more along the lines of a Mac mini with a nice fast
> CPU.
>
>     Hulu will stutter badly and pretty much be unwatchable on an ION box.

True, but there are workarounds. I use the PlayOn server, which transcodes on
the fly from Flash to MPEG2, which an ION box can cope with, and exports it
as a UPnP server.

Problem is, it requires a Windows machine on the network, but it does allow
Hulu (and even Netflix, plus many others) to be watched on an ION-based
machine.

I don't think we will ever see a native Linux answer to watching
Netflix "Watch Instantly", due to the studios demanding some sort of DRM.
Although some of the authorized Netflix players do run Linux as an OS, the
DRM portion is not open source, and probably never will be.