[mythtv-users] disk load balancing with slave BE over nfs

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Aug 19 10:23:07 UTC 2010

A small but very significant question about disk load balancing that I can't find an answer for anywhere.

I'd like to make my current Slave BE/ Remote FE diskless and shutdown when idle but I'm concerned about how the disks will be loaded during simultaneous HD recordings, I find that MythTV is very sensitive to multiple HD recordings to the same disk when the disk is full, which of course it always will be :-) I'm using 0.23-fixes on 32bit Ubuntu 10.04 with 6x XFS sata disks (2x500G, 4x1.5T), using the recommended xfs mount options and nfs options from the wiki.

I see that MythTV detects if an nfs mount on the slave is the same disk as the master, mythweb status shows this well.

What I'd like to know is if the slave and master are aware of each others disk usage, does the master backend tell the slave which disk is best to use or the does the slave decide that independently with no knowledge of the masters usage?

Andre