[mythtv-users] Two questions regarding mythvideo

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Aug 18 19:28:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:07:47AM -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> > >I did figure out what's happening though - if an 'E' appears in
> > >the CRC and something resembling a number before and after it it
> > >parses incorrectly. It doesn't seem to matter that there's not an
> > >'S' before everything nor that's it's a part of a longer string. I
> > >manually checked about two dozen files and that is common on all
> > >misinterpreted items. I supposed if it looked for an 'S' or a
> > >space before and after the match it wouldn't happen.
> >
> > There is no purpose speculating.  The filename parsing will not be
> > modified to support CRC32 checksums or release groups.  It is not
> > broken, it is a choice not to aid illegal downloading of media.
>
>    It would be nice if you guys spent less time fixating on "piracy"
> and MythVideo was half as good as XBMC at dealing with one's own
> legally acquired content.
>
>    Any sufficiently flexible solution will likely "aid illegal downloading
> of media".

Careful Jedi, you could easily upset quite a number of folks with comments
like that... especially directed at one of the most active developers and
most involved contributors to the user forums.

While most of can agree that there are other products that handle different
aspects of media playback better, or look prettier, or are 'better' in some
way or another... they are different projects with different goals.  IIRC it
wasn't too long ago that mythvideo wasn't even an official part of mythtv,
and was developed as a plugin.

While XBMC and others only concern themselves with media playback and the
GUI... mythtv focused on recording, scheduling, transcoding, and commercial
flagging.  A very different set of goals, so of course XBMC is better at
what it does... but it can't even begin to compete with mythtv on what
mythtv does.

It's folks like Robert who have been trying to keep the user experience up
to speed by working on audio, theming, etc.  I can't blame them for sticking
to a naming convention... it allows them to focus on what really matters.
If you want to change it, them submit a patch and see how the community
reacts.  But I don't think that the devs care about your ability to do
something the least bit shady... mythtv has been walking a fine line as it
is with copyright laws being so messed up, they certainly don't want to get
unnecessary attention by having discussions about how to best support
pirated content.