[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Prime with MythTV

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 18:19:44 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Justin Johnson
<justin.johnson3 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:05 PM, lists.md301 <lists.md301 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Up until now, I haven't seen a lot of encouraging information about the
> >> possibility of the new cablecard HD Homerun working with Linux and/or
> >> MythTV, but I saw this post on the Silicondust forum for the HDHomeRun
> >> Prime
> >> today. It's still not a lot of info to go on, and certainly gives no
> >> guarantees, but it seems a lot more promising than anything else I've
> read
> >> up to this point, so I thought I'd forward it to the list. If this is
> >> already old news, I apologize.
> >>

> >> http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8973
> >>

> >> nickk's comment:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The video stream for copy-freely content is RTP - same the the
> HDHomeRun.
> >>
> >> There is a ECR under review that would enable us to stream copy-freely
> >> content without requiring DRM registration. This will enable streaming
> >> third-party applications.
> >>
> >> Internally we use MythTV as part of our QA testing.
> >>
> >> Nick
> >
> > I haven't seen any more discussion on this thread or the list since the
> > following was announced:
> >

> http://hd.engadget.com/2010/08/15/cablelabs-amends-ocur-spec-tuner-sharing-and-mythtv-are-on
> >
> > From the story:
> > "The other change we're glad didn't take forever to become a reality is
> the
> > one that stated that even Copy Freely content had to be transmitted
> > securely, which meant that Windows 7 Media Center was the only way to
> watch
> > any CableCARD tuner stuff, and while there isn't much encrypted QAM
> content
> > out there marked Copy Freely, MythTV and SageTV fans will have access to
> at
> > least some premium HD content."
> >
> > Since Silicon Dust uses MythTV internally, will this capability make it
> onto
> > the public release roadmap?  Personally I care, as I'm one of the lucky
> ones
> > where my Comcast system has all of my digital tier flagged Copy Freely (I
> > don't subscribe to any Premiums, which I presume are locked down), which
> > can get through STB firewire.  I'll mention here that I've heard they are
> > flagged Free for compatibility with Tivo's capability, since they have
> some
> > kind of working relationship with Comcast, but haven't found anything
> > definitely authoritative to confirm this.  The implementation can vary
> > greatly by your particular head end-YMMV.
> >

> Is it safe to assume that if I can get stuff over firewire, then they
> are marked "Copy Freely"?
> --Justin Johnson

It's probably not safe to assume anything until you actually test (just as
firewire availability and QAM availability have little relation to one
another) but my semi-informed opinion is that it greatly increases the
chances of it being marked copy-free.

Robert