[mythtv-users] Combined Atom FE/BE /w GT220 ?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 17:37:18 UTC 2010

>> As the Sheevaplug uses 3 watts, and you won't be doing any heavy lifting
>> (Commflagging/Transcoding), this will be a perfect backend, and so small the
>> SO will probably miss it.
>
> No.  It would be an awful backend.

I guess I have an awful backend then. So does this guy:
http://computingplugs.com/index.php/Sheeva_Plug_as_a_MythTV_master_backend

> That system has very little processing
> power, no floating point capability, very little memory,

...and yet, it doesn't need much processing power, any FP, or a lot of
memory (indeed, 512MB is overkill). I can post 'top' stats later.

> and very little
> opportunity for expansion.

True, Plug computers can probably only handle 2 HD tuners or so. Your
FE could be woken up on-demand as a slave BE for additional tuners,
though.

>  You have this tiny backend, but it requires you
> to have all manner of hubs, hard drives, and tuners chained off of it.
>  That's just ugly if nothing else.

I dunno, it blended right in with my existing DSL modem, VoIP adapter,
network switch, wireless access point, and HDHomeRun. I'd venture to
guess that most people already have all manner of boxes and cables
(including cable/dish STBs), so what's a few more? Nice thing about
Plug computers is they can be completely hidden in a small cabinet or
closet with less concern for ventilation than a PC.

> Database access will be slow.  The
> scheduler runs will be slow.  The guide downloader will be slow.

I haven't noticed any slowness in the last couple months I've been
using a Plug BE? My FE even boots NFSroot off the Plug's 2.5" HD.

> As you
> mention, commflagging and transcoding will be non-existent.

No problem if you don't use them, or, wake up your FE on-demand as a
slave BE to do these tasks.

> It's all a big hassle and painful MythTV experience for what might be $20/yr
> in power savings over a low power desktop  (with a real Athlon or Core
> processor).

My power bill shows a savings of 2kW/day for about $40/year (and our
hydro electricity is dirt cheap here in Idaho) vs my x86 BE, and
that's not including any savings in A/C requirements. Actually, the
biggest WAF win is not having to open the cover of my x86 BE and blow
dust out of the CPU heatsink every month. Or replace rattling fans
every year.

That's my 3˘, YMMV of course.