[mythtv-users] MCE IR receiver hangs computer, bad hardware?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Aug 17 20:37:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Kevin Ross <kevin at familyross.net> wrote:

> Anyone seen anything like this?  I don't think it's a bad USB controller,
> because I was getting the same type of random freezes on another computer
> (using the same MCE USB receiver, which I moved to this computer).  So this
> leads me to believe the problem is either the hardware, or the driver (no
> offense meant to the author).  Are these random disconnects/reconnects
> normal?  Is that indicative of flaky hardware (my guess is yes)?
>
> If the consensus is yes, my IR receiver is crap, what would be a good
> reliable IR receiver to use with LIRC?

Any chance that the issue is environmental?  Perhaps the IR receiver is
picking up a signal from your neighbor's remote, or some other IR device and
that's what is causing it to flake out.

You say you have another identical device elsewhere in your house... try
swapping them and see if the issue follows.  If this FE still has the random
freezes, then I would say it's driver related... and possibly caused by
something environmental.