[mythtv-users] Duplicate recordings because of bad SD data?

Robert Eden rmeden at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 16:08:04 UTC 2010

On 8/16/2010 11:24 PM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>     > Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:56:49 -0500
>     > From: Robert Eden <rmeden at yahoo.com>
>
>     > Bad example.  By definition, a SH* program ID means TMS doesn't know
>     > what episode will air. EP* means a specific episode.  I would expect
>     > lota of CC variation for SH* episode ids.
>
> ...but----they knew what the subtitle was in each case, and the
> subtitle was the same.  The also had detailed descriptions for each
> (though they didn't match each other).
A series has a standard description and subtitle that is used for SH*
shows.  Those may change over time, but not very frequently.

Looking at your previous example:

<program id='SH006653310000'>
<title>Jungle: Canopyworld</title>
<description>Charlotte Uhlenbroek explores rain forests to reveal complex habitats.</description>
<program id='EP006232720001'>
<title>Jungle</title>
<subtitle>Canopyworld</subtitle>
<description>Poisonous spiders and pythons inhabit the rain forests of Borneo.</description>

First, Tribune is reporting those as a different Series!  Yes they are similar, but the Series ID and titles are different.

Second, I consider the first (SH*) description "generic" while the second (EP*) specific (as expected).

To me this looks like another example of the network providing bad information to Tribune (different title).  Not sure what can be done to prevent that.  You simply care about it more than the original network.

Robert