[mythtv-users] possible frontend?

jmk jmk at foofus.net
Fri Aug 13 20:45:53 UTC 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 7:34 AM, Joe wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Richard Morton
> <richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/09/jetway-jbc600c99-52w-is-a-long-name-for-a-little-nettop-with-ato/
>
> I just stumbled upon this one myself, newegg carries it:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856107072
>
> I am in the market for a small/quiet frontend and I was thinking of
> getting a Revo as they seem to be pretty highly regarded for that
> purpose -- but I discovered they discontinued the $199 "1600" model
> and now all you can get is the more expensive 3600 series.  This
> Jetway is cheaper and comes with an MCE remote, but does NOT have
> keyboard, memory, or storage for the OS (I don't want the keyboard but
> the memory is important, and I don't feel like going through the pain
> of setting up network boot).  In the end it's probably about the same
> price.

I'm considering getting a nettop to play with as a new frontend. Has anyone actually seen/used this new Jetway? It appears to be what I'm looking for, with a few potential concerns:

1) All mentions of this product reference an optical S/PDIF port in their summary text. However, the specs on Jetway's site don't list it and I'm not seeing it in the pictures. I'm curious if there is indeed a S/PDIF port.

2) It states that a MCE remote is included. Does this come with an external USB IR receiver or is one built-in? It doesn't make sense to build one in to me, if the thing is meant to be mounted on the back of the display.

3) The specs state "Silent Fan & Heatpipe Thermal Solution". One of my goals is to get something that is as quiet as possible. I'm curious what their definition of silent really is.

Thanks,
Joe