[mythtv-users] HDPVR and lirc_zilog assistance

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Fri Aug 13 18:15:04 UTC 2010

Bob wrote:
> Jim Morton wrote:
>> From the wiki page http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HD-PVR
>>
>> Following the "Compile LIRC Modules for IR Transmitter Support "
>> steps and it seems I'm close but I feel like a blind man here. I
>> don't know what I'm doing.
>>
>> My Streamzap remote has stopped working and the lirc_zilog won't seem
>> to load on a reboot.
>>
>> Questions -
>>
>> At step 4 it says "If you have other lirc devices on this box you'll
>> need to download and compile updated drivers for them as well. Copy
>> the needed source to this working folder..." Okay, there was already
>> 'lirc_streamzap.c' in this directory, it came with the
>> "hdpvr-blaster-drivers.tar.gz", so I assumed I was good to go. Am I
>> missing something here? My remote worked up to the point of following
>> these instructions so I must have borked it somehow. But re-reading
>> this a hundred times has not getting me there.
> The lirc system is a tricky beast.  Can you make sure the
> lirc_streamzap.ko file is still on your system?  If so, what is the
> modification date?
It is in these 2 places -
./lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_streamzap/lirc_streamzap.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 21752 2010-07-27 23:57
/lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_streamzap/lirc_streamzap.ko

./lib/modules/2.6.32-24-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_streamzap/lirc_streamzap.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23376 2010-07-28 04:42
/lib/modules/2.6.32-24-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_streamzap/lirc_streamzap.ko

I'm not following you here. What does the mod date have to do with
anything? Are we looking for an older one?

> You might have used the HDPVR drivers and overwritten your streamzap
> lirc driver with and older one and how your stream zap hardware is not
> recognized.
Well, I did the 'make' in the
/lib/firmware/hdpvr/hdpvr-blaster-drivers/hdpvr/lirc directory which
made a 'lirc_zilog.ko ' and then later copied that to
/lib/modules/2.6.32-24-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_dev/lirc_zilog.ko
As I followed the wiki steps.
(I kept great notes of every command I issued)

> If you know how you can go to the lirc website and grab the latest
> releaed version, extract the stream_zap.c file and place it in with
> your HDPVR lirc drivers and try to recompile.

I can attempt this. Tonight...

>> After I 'modprobe lirc_zilog', dmesg shows it is loaded. But then If
>> I reboot dmesg has no mention of it. Is 'modprobe' supposed to load
>> things permanently?
>>
> No, modprobe loads drivers when requested, mostly by udev.  There are
> ways to make drivers load depending on your distribution.  If I
> recall, I thought lirc would load the drivers when configured properly.
So I won't worry about this until I get lirc working right then possibly
it will also be resolved.
>> I haven't even started on the "Steps to enable IR transmitter" yet.
>> It says to install LIRC for my distribution. Shouldn't I already have
>> that? This is Mythbuntu 10.04 and my Streamzap remote worked (before
>> I started all this) so I'm thinking it already has LIRC installed and
>> I can skip this step. Can anyone confirm?
>>

> The HDPVR driver will be your transmitter.  I would just try to get
> your HDPVR blaster and stream zap modules loading at the same time.
> Once you get that far, you can figure out the transmitting portion.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing. Not much use in continuing until I
now I have it right.

>> PS. I am willing to pay someone (more knowledgeable than myself)  to
>> connect to my system remotely (via webex or something) and complete
>> these steps. I sent a request to the myth-contractors group but it
>> seems no one was interested.
>>
> Tempting.

Maybe an ice cold six-pack of your favorite brew would be enough to push
you over the edge???

--
Jim