[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.23 backend suddenly auto-expired a ton of recordings...

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 03:42:47 UTC 2010

>  On 08/12/2010 10:06 PM, Brett Kosinski wrote:
>>>
>>> MythTV doesn't just delete stuff--it only deletes while recording and
>>> only
>>
>> Unless there's a bug... :)
>
> OK, let's put it this way:  how about you /prove/ there's a bug.  Post some
> logs.  Maybe the apache/MythWeb logs and/or the backend logs showing
> mythbackend deleting all 250GB at once (with a lot of additional context
> around them).

I've already provided what little detail I have.

The apache/mythweb logs are essentially empty.  There are some records
from August 1st, then today as I began investigating.  There are no
log entries for August 11th.

As I said in my original email, the backend logs only show a large
number of "Expiring" log records, with no errors surrounding them, nor
any detail regarding why the expiration was being performed.  These
entries extend for a period of 7 hours of steady deletion (probably
due to slow deletes being enabled).

Unfortunately, the default logging level in MythTV doesn't provide any
information regarding *why* files are being expired (save due to
recording count limits), and so it's impossible for me to post-analyze
what happened in order to determine what caused Myth to do what it
did.

If, however, you have suggestions on additional logging I could
enable, or other things I could check, I'm all ears, although I've
already dug around heavily in the logs to no avail.  At least then, if
this happens again, I might be able to provide some constructive
detail.  Meanwhile, I've enabled log monitoring to track expirations,
so hopefully I'll be able to catch this in progress if it ever happens
again.

> I just think if MythTV randomly deleted hundreds of recordings, people may
> have noticed.

I totally agree, which is why I'm utterly baffled by this behaviour.
I've been using myth for years now (though I only just now upgraded
from 0.21 to 0.23), and this is the first time I've ever seen
behaviour like this.

Brett.