[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.23 backend suddenly auto-expired a ton of recordings...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 13 01:52:42 UTC 2010

  On 08/12/2010 09:36 PM, Brett Kosinski wrote:
>> Typically this is the result of MythWeb being internet accessible and
>> outside contact deleting files.   Any chance of this?
> I don't believe so.  While mythweb is on a public-facing server, there
> are no records in the access log of hits to the site during the period
> in question.  Furthermore, I have basic auth implemented, and fairly
> strong passwords in place.

Well, if it was autoexpire, either your file system must be messed up
and wasn't reported any extra available space as MythTV was expiring
recordings or (more likely) something that's not MythTV was writing
stuff to the file system while MythTV was recording, so MythTV had to
keep deleting stuff to keep recording.

MythTV doesn't just delete stuff--it only deletes while recording and
only on the file system in use and only when there's not enough space on
the file system in question and only until there's enough space on the
file system in use.  So, if something is filling the file system as fast
as or faster than MythTV is deleting stuff, it won't stop expiring stuff
(at least not until the recording finishes).  Or, if your file system
doesn't show additional extra space after something is deleted, MythTV
won't stop expiring stuff.

Note, however, if your:

Extra Disk Space
Extra disk space (in Gigabytes) that you want to keep free on the
recording file systems beyond what MythTV requires.

setting got changed to, say, 300GB (after having been set at 30GB) and a
recording started, it would delete from the file system to which it's
recording until 300GB was free (taking a bit over 250GB).  Note, also,
that setting is global, so it applies to all of your file systems--300GB
would keep 300GB free on each of your 2TB file system, your 1TB file
system, your 500GB file system and your 200GB file system--where that
last one would always have exactly one recording on it since it's
smaller than 300GB.

Mike