[mythtv-users] combined frontend/master backend can't connect to master backend server

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Thu Aug 12 17:47:22 UTC 2010

Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>>  On 08/11/2010 07:35 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>>>
>>> value                    data            hostname
>>> BackendServerIP         192.168.1.101   localhost.localdomain
>>

>> I highly recommend using a real hostname.
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend
>>

> I know I should do this, but I doubt it will fix my immediate problem.
>  I literally was able to see that the backend was listening on the
> correct port and then later when I came home and tried to watch a
> recording (which I could do when I saw the backend was listening)
> everything went kaput and netstat indicated the backend was no longer
> listening.
>
> I am happy to accept that it is a hardware problem and I need to build
> a new machine (which I have been meaning to do ever since VDAPA came
> out), but obviously if it is some software issue, I can troubleshoot
> that first.

While I was battling upgrading and combining BE/FE, I ran into a similar
issue.
[from memory...]
When I ran mythfrontend in a terminal one of the messages was something
like backend IP not found in file bla, using blabla instead, and various
can't connect messages.
I tracked down the .xml or .conf file it referred to, found the field it
referred to, and put the machine IP address in.

This broke the frontend...
Frontend started as if it was a brand new install. Set language, etc...

Went back and undid everything, commented out the line I where put the IP.
Frontend started, connected, and worked perfectly.
Why that worked, I dunno..?