[mythtv-users] Never mind (was Re: Anyone know if the ar9170usb driver is supposed to support 802.11n?)

Scott Alfter scott at alfter.us
Wed Aug 11 16:58:11 UTC 2010

Should've taken a look here first:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ar9170

> working
>
>     * 802.11 a/b/g
>     * Ad-hoc, monitor and station mode
>     * Cryptographic accelerator in station mode
>     * SoftLEDs
>
> not working yet
>
>     * Cryptographic accelerator in Ad-hoc mode
>     * Adaptive Noise Immunity
>     * Lots of other things

802.11n is most likely one of those "lots of other things." :-( 802.11a still
appears to be an improvement over 802.11g, and since we mostly seem to end up
watching ripped DVDs and such that were compressed with H.264, I can probably
live with it until the driver is updated to support 802.11n.

As an alternative, is there a dual-band 802.11n USB dongle that is fully
supported?  Yet another possibility would be to buy a second DAP-1522, set it
up in bridge mode (the first is set to access-point mode), and patch the
frontend into that...paid only $55 for the first one at Newegg, which is a bit
less than I paid at Fry's for the DWA-160.  (It's gone up since
Sunday...they're now asking $75.  Fry's wants $100.)

Scott Alfter
scott at alfter.us