[mythtv-users] MythMusic and UPnP

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Wed Aug 11 06:02:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Josenivaldo Benito Junior
<jrbenito at benito.qsl.br> wrote:
> It suggests that MythMusic is really trying to access direct path instead of
> a stream which means the Glen's suggestion will work pretty well for any
> Myth front-end. However, other UPnP clients like Playstation3 or any other
> which is not a PC with myth front-end running will not be able to play the
> musics.

MythMusic is really a frontend-only plugin - AFAIK, it only uses the
backend for storage because other plugins do so too.

> I think a little strange to a very huge software capable of video stream and
> other tasks like MythTV cannot play a MP3 file. Does anyone know why? Per my
> understand of expression "media server", it is intended to share media and
> why not MP3?

MythTV isn't a media server...it happens to have a UPNP server built
in, but that's really only designed to stream TV recordings.

> Again, if I could understand it correctly, MythMusic plugin uses Myth
> back-end only to store the playlists,  index of music, etc. All other task
> like open the file, play it is made by the front-end software (Mythmusic
> itself) that's why it needs direct file access. Now I ask, is not an
> overkill to have a back end solution only to hold a playlist?

Probably, but since the backend is there anyway, it seems only
sensible to use it. It's badly underutilised by MythMusic, but that's
just the way MythMusic is right now.

> I am really sad to discover Myth will not solve this problem. My dream of
> join every media in one unique place isn't yet possible. I will have to run
> other media server like MediaThomb or even the Buffalo NAS (DLNA enabled)
> just to serve music but this will require another setup on each client. Sad
> but true until now.

MythTV is really designed to work with itself (Backend->Frontend)
first and foremost - these two features which you take for granted,
UPNP and MythMusic, are both relatively minor components.

For what it's worth, every now and again the idea of rewriting
MythMusic from the ground up gets booted around, and when it is a
better client-server model will probably be implemented. But right
now, AFAIK, nobody is doing that work.

- Chris