[mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 01:10:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> It really comes down to predicting which upgrade is more likely:
>> something that really needs a 512MB card or something that needs the
>> PCI slot.  Your original post on this thread suggest you're
>> considering getting a Happaugue card.  If you want to go that route,
>> you'll need the PCI slot.
>
> It's worth noting that running VDPAU with a 256mb card is an
> unsupported configuration - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't,
> and you'll get little sympathy from this list if it doesn't.

Yeah, when I got my first revo 1600, with 256 shared to video, I could
play *a lot* of my media, but HDPVR 1080 recordings were a no go, and
high rate atsc 1080i was a no go as well..

So NO 1080 hdpvr recording would play, and almost all 1080i US
broadcast would play..  I had no issues with anything else playing
that I can remember..

No, I just buy a 1GB stick and throw it in there..  They can be had
for ~25, so not a big deal..  They are getting hard to find again
right now, but I just got 2 more for $220 each..  I have 4 now (or 2
+2 on the way), and have paid 169, 199, 220, 220 for them -
supply/demand..

Once another round gets delivered from Acer, they'll be 199 new
everywhere again with refurbs as low as 160..  I just needed grabbed
these 2 because I didn't feel like waiting (and the remotes were on
sale, so it almost made up the difference)..  Now I just have a few
extra of the crappy 2.5" sata drives they come with :)