[mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Aug 10 21:01:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> There should be room for the video card however you'd lose the PCI slot, so
> long as you are not using that all should be fine.

It really comes down to predicting which upgrade is more likely:
something that really needs a 512MB card or something that needs the
PCI slot.  Your original post on this thread suggest you're
considering getting a Happaugue card.  If you want to go that route,
you'll need the PCI slot.

> So you would lose access to the on board VGA, so my suggestion of the
> possibility of 2 VGA monitors would not work in this case.

The nvidia cards allow hooking a VGA monitor to the DVI port with an
adapter.  I believe you can use all three ports simultaneously.

Eric