[mythtv-users] SOLVED PS3 doesn't see Mythtv / upnp

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 10 18:49:14 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:41:09 am Andre wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2010, at 17:05, Brian Wood wrote:
> > Most people think their WiFi network is "working" if they can go to
> > MySpace or Twitter. Since most home internet connections are much slower
> > than the local network, it takes a really major problem to be noticed by
> > most consumers.
>
> DNS is also affected badly but as most ISP's have a severely overloaded or
> partially broken DNS, many domestic routers drop udp dns so there's a
> delay before tcp is tried so even that isn't immediately apparent or more
> precisely Joe Public is used to that being slow.

Most ISP's DNS servers totally suck. Mine has a tendency to direct me to their own search page whenever it feels like it.
It's supposed to only do that when a lookup fails, but it does so other times as well. I don't want to be redirected if I
mis-type something, just give me the error. Most folks would be better off using an alternative DNS server:

http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast-public-dns-server-list/

> Pretty sorry state all round, I'm pretty disgusted with most people's
> Internet connections, mine's fine of course :-)

In most cases you don't have many choices, it's usually a case of having to choose the best of several crappy options.