[mythtv-users] SOLVED PS3 doesn't see Mythtv / upnp

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 10 15:05:04 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, August 10, 2010 08:43:24 am Andre wrote:

> Just to add to the fun lots of my neighbours only turn their routers on
> every now and then, the permutations are horrific in a building with only
> 9 apartments, although the buildings either side have some (extra 7 or 8)
> networks visible too! Most are on the same channel 12, must be "great"
> using those networks ;-)

The channel numbering system creates the false impression that there are 12 or more available channels, when in fact there
are only 3, all the rest overlap. The result is the total mess we have now, and the worse one we are heading for quickly.

> Currently 5Ghz is completely free but not for long I'm sure, even 5Ghz N
> doesn't give me glitch free wireless HD on my laptop, cabled is fine, it
> does mean that ordinary network tasks work properly though.

The problem is TCP/IP is too good, retransmissions and other problems are transparent to the user. Only sensitive
applications like VOIP or video will see problems due to the added latency of retransmissions.

Most people think their WiFi network is "working" if they can go to MySpace or Twitter. Since most home internet
connections are much slower than the local network, it takes a really major problem to be noticed by most consumers.

Non 2.4 Ghz. systems (802.11N or even 802.11A) are better, but as you point out, this situation will not last for long,
and it's not a solution for visiting laptop users, E-Readers or smartphones, since none of those use anything but 2.4 Ghz.
WiFi. It's only a solution if you control every device you want to use, and are willing to pay more to get off 2.4Ghz.

If you have a Myth system that absolutely can't have a wire run, highly directional WiFi systems, using parabolic
reflectors at both ends or something similar, can help a lot, since Myth systems are generally connecting fixed points and
not mobile devices (few people walk around with their TV set in their home). Directional antennas not only increase the
signal on the desired path, but also reject off-axis interference.