[mythtv-users] SOLVED PS3 doesn't see Mythtv / upnp

emarkert at aim.com emarkert at aim.com
Mon Aug 9 17:17:27 UTC 2010

>Was this SD or HD, and how many streams? Multiple HD streams usually bring G

>networks to their knees, and cause problems

>even for N unless the conditions are near perfect.

I should have clarified.  From the previous post I was assuming the user was watching SD content.
I don't have a HD card so I can't speak to the effects that HD has on a network.  That said, I became curious about this bandwidth issue.

So, I started watching a recording on my PS3, fired up my linux box and started watching a show via mythfrontend, then fired up my windows machine
and started watching a show, streamed, using VLC (at the same time that some windows updates and VLC updates were downloading).

My inbound wifi bandwidth usage was next to nothing.  Outbound ranged in the 10 - 20 MBps with an occasional spike of about 23 MBps.  Wifi connectivity was fine, and the only noticeable
issue was some very intermittent choppiness in the mythfrontend sound.

I can see where HD content would severely impact wifi connections, but with 3 different devices ALL viewing myth content at the same time my SD content is really stressing my wifi net.