[mythtv-users] MythMusic and UPnP

Josenivaldo Benito Junior jrbenito at benito.qsl.br
Mon Aug 9 02:00:51 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am very fresh with MythTV and I am full of questions being answered by
documentation and googling around. However, one thing is not clear enough to
me at all.

I've setup a front/back-end to test in my computer. Mythmusic works ok
there. I have two other front-ends, my laptop with MythTV front-end (running
Ubuntu as the back-end computer) and a Sony Playstation 3. I also have the
Rhythmbox Music Player installed on both, backend and front-end (laptop)
computers, both with UPnP plug-in.

Although all the front-end clients (all UPnP software on laptop and PS3 and
the MythTV front-end in the back-end computer) can present my entire MP3
collection in the playlist, only the MythTV front-end installed together
with back-end can play music. My Sony PS3 says the media is not compatible,
the Rhytmbox tries to play and fail, the MythTV front-end in the Laptop
tries to play and fail (I could not see any error message in this case,
maybe it leave a log in the /var/log ?).

Googling around I found many references saying that one might mount (samba
or NFS) the music directory locally in order to have other MythTV front-ends
playing the music. This information brings the questions:

Does UPnP not enough to play a media file remotely? Did I understand
Mythmusic wrong and it is not a plugin form MythTV share music but only a
front-end GUI to play local music?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
--*