[mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Aug 8 22:49:26 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jessica Perry Hekman" <jphekman at arborius.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 1:30 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 04:42:33PM +1200, Tortise wrote:

> Providing a URL to the manual of the TV is often a good way to
> accelerate the advice given to you here.

> My TV's manual is available here:

 >http://www.retrevo.com/support/Philips-27PT543S-TVs-manual/id/278dj493/t/2/

>Right now, I would really like to just buy an Acer Revo for my front
end, as that seems to be what people here recommend. However, it does
not have s-video out.

I note from your previous thread that you already have this:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-12133156-12133158-12133158-12133158-79732629-80159138.html

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00839729.pdf shows the two types of S-Video adapter that may actually be present on your PC -
in which case it may well be just a case of configuring xorg.conf.  It also suggests there are various model options, so it depends
what yours is.  If in doubt a photo of the back of the video connection options would be helpful to clarify.

That pc would be fine as a FE with a video card that support component out, see my last post.  As you have the PCI-E option that
would be cheapest.

Once getting over the complexity of setting up two screens the box should work fine with two screens, (and possibly even more given
the 256.44 nvidia driver (if I interpret the recent changes correctly) and the pre-existing inbuilt VGA...!)

Cheapest option by far is surely buy a video card (buy one with the component break out box maybe ebay?) and remote!