[mythtv-users] Small Form Factor Frontend

Chris Tepe cstepe at ctdataservices.com
Fri Aug 6 00:39:40 UTC 2010

On 8/5/2010 7:23 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday, August 05, 2010 05:06:08 pm JWA wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 15:36, Chuck Peters<cp at ccil.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> http://i.dell.com/resize.aspx/optiplex-780-usff-aio_500/149/100
>>>
>>> I would like something small and quiet and the Dell Optiplex 780 Ultra
>>> Small form factor look nice, but at $980 is also seems about double what
>>> it should cost.  It would be nice to hide the machine behind the
>>> monitor.  Has anyone built small form factors with the stands like
>>> that?  What parts did you use?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chuck
>>>
>> Foxconn makes a little ION system that comes with a Vesa mount:
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BEST
>> MATCH&Description=foxconn+ion&x=0&y=0
>>
> Interesting, but $15 for a little black paint seems silly.
>
> Sure looks like a Revo, but without the eSATA port and 2.5" hard drive, for the same price.
>
> No SPDIF port, but the Revo has the same problem.

I just recently built a front nend using Zotac.  System plays HD
recording fine.  Here's what I bought from Newegg

    *
          o 1 x BYTECC 3 ft. HDMI Type-A Male to Male High Speed Cable
            Model HDMI14-3K
          o 1 x Zotac MAG HD-ND01 NVIDIA ION Mini / Booksize Barebone System
          o 1 x ADESSO WKB-3200UB Black 2.4 GHz RF Wireless
            Multimedia/MCE Keyboard with Optical Trackball
          o 1 x Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media center Infrared
            Remote Control RRC-126

This was all for around $400.  install went smooth and HDMI worked with
out a hitch after the system updated the new install.  Plus it came with
a VESA bracket to mount behind the Tv.  The only issue I had was a
flakey USB CD drive used during install.