[mythtv-users] Output to h.264

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Aug 5 18:28:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:19 PM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
> As in set top boxes. A box that is a stand alone device, which sits on or near each TV, has a compliment of outputs ranging from composite to perhaps component to DVI. This could even be a PC since there are many embedded devices which look like STB's and are in fact small pc's running linux for the most part.

I think we all know that STB = Set Top Box, the question is about what
you want in the box.

You seem to be thinking of this in terms which are quite alien to most
MythTV users, so that's where the confusion comes in.  Myth frontends
don't tune channels which are broadcast by the backend, they request
individual streams which are unicast just to that backend on demand.

If you don't have a particular box in mind, your best bet would
probably be something like an Acer Aspire Revo, or similar box with
the standard Myth Frontend software outputting to each TV, which
whatever hardware you have for the backend.

Eric