[mythtv-users] Output to h.264

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Aug 5 17:49:55 UTC 2010

  On 8/5/2010 13:43, Jeff Artz wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:06 PM, mike at grounded.net
> <mailto:mike at grounded.net> <mike at grounded.net
> <mailto:mike at grounded.net>> wrote:

>     Basically, I'm looking for a way to get rid of the many power
>     hungry modulators I'm using now to output video onto my coax and
>     to better use it. I'd also like to benefit from the cool mythtv
>     PVR functionality.
>

> This argument doesn't make sense at all -- you say you want to replace
> 'power hungry' modulators with Computer systems running MythTV???   So
> going from 10-20W per modulator to 200-400W per computer?

Wait... 400W for a single computer?  Ive got two full size computers, an
embedded Geode computer, 17 hard drives, two optical drives, a hardware
RAID card, two filled gigabit switches, a wireless AP, five tuners, POTS
ATA, DSL modem, and WiFi access point all on a single UPS, and it barely
exceeds 300W consumption at the wall.