[mythtv-users] Output to h.264

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Thu Aug 5 17:06:00 UTC 2010

>> So, I'd like to take the output and encode it to h.264, for that purpose.
>>
> Are you talking about IPTV broadcasting?
> MythTV is not the right software for that sort of thing.

Not iptv but it kind of amounts to the same thing. My thought was that I might have different low power back ends for each source. So for example, I might have a local tuner card as a back end. I'd have that going onto the network as H.264 that I could pick up over the network using a set top box or any PC. I might have a satellite card as another back end, also outputting.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to get rid of the many power hungry modulators I'm using now to output video onto my coax and to better use it. I'd also like to benefit from the cool mythtv PVR functionality.

> configuring each "set stop box" as a MythTV or UPNP client, depending on the box.

I don't know yet I guess. I'm only at the starting stage at the moment. I've looked around and see there are a ton of good set top boxes out there, cheap too, that do everything including HD. That's the kind of setup I could use.