[mythtv-users] has anyone tried using this to capture HD

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Aug 5 03:19:34 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 08:55:12 pm Justin Garrison wrote:
> >   On 8/4/2010 14:03, Donald J. Organ IV wrote:
> > > http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mac/mxo2_family/mxo2_mini/
> >
> > Why bother?  It's $450 for just the capture box, or $850 if you want the
> > hardware H264 encoder card.  The HDPVR retails for $200 and goes down
> > from there.
> >
> >It will capture HDMI, which the HDPVR won't do, so it might be useful to
>
> someone with extra money. I think it's still
>
> >cheaper than the HD Fury.
> >
> >I'm not sure how it deals with HDCP (or doesn't).
> >
> >The HDPVR will fail when they finally implement selective output control,
>
> so we do have to keep our eyes open for
>
> >alternatives, but this looks to be too pricey, for me at least.
>
> I think you might be confused on what selective output control actually
> applies to. Selective output control was only approved for movies that are
> going to be shown on TV while they are still also in theaters.
> Cable/satellite companies are not allowed to use SOC for anything other
> than that. SOC was not approved to all of a sudden block you from being
> able to watch your regular (or even premium) channels over whatever output
> you want. It applies to content that isn't even available yet from any
> provider, it was put in place for future offerings and pay per view type
> movies that are not yet out on video or licensed to another
> channel/provider to show on TV (and possible special PPV sporting events
> but I don't remember that one exactly).
> That being said, once SOC is put into practice it would only stop you from
> recording something you currently can't record anyway because the content
> isn't even available anywhere besides illegal sources. Of course at that
> point you could just get an HD Fury ($200-400) and still record the
> content, but that is besides the point.
> Originally they wanted to use SOC to block anything and everything they
> could, but that is not how it was actually approved. And lets face it, by
> the time they actually start offering movies on demand that are still in
> theaters, there will probably be some pretty nice HDMI capture cards
> anyway.

The cable companies will do whatever they please, no matter what they are "allowed" to do. They are also "required" to
give you a box with working firewire, how's that working out?

The "limited" SOC rules are just the camel's nose.

The real problem is allowing the studios to own the distribution systems, I thought they got rid of that obvious idiocy in
the "Great Divorce" of ca. 1929.