[mythtv-users] Can't get it to work

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 22:50:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Mark Tiddens
<tiddens at jumpingdolphins.com> wrote:
> Thanks. I followed everything closely step-by-step three to four times.  How
> do I "check backend logs", what do I look for, and what do I do once I see
> something?

<Please bottom post on our mailing lists, thank you>

Your backend logs are the console output of your backend.  So if you
have invoked it with the logfile option, or redirected console output
of the backend process to a file, then it will be in that file.
Alternately, your packager may have set up a logfile.  In Linux, log
files are generally lcoated in /var/log somewhere.  I reiterate that
MythTV in the US will be of little use without schedules direct, and
if basic permissions problems cause you issues, I fear that you may
have a major, major uphill battle in trying to use myth on your
employer's box.  Even for those of use who know Myth front to back, we
would still never think of deploying it en masse as the support burden
would be huge.  If you are serious about putting it on a piece of
hardware, you should really hire someone (or someones) who know myth
code inside and out.  You may be interested in:

http://groups.google.com/group/mythtv-contractors

For that purpose.

Robert