[mythtv-users] HDPVR and lirc_zilog drive me crazy

JWA jwa at macbidouille.com
Tue Aug 3 21:00:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:56, Hans Weber <linuxluemmel.ch at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>

> If I do load lirc_dev prio to lirc_zilog I have a oops.
>
> If I load lirc_zilog direct wihtout prior loading lirc_dev  it loads perfect
>
> Adding 995988k swap on /dev/sda5.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:995988k
> lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
> lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR driver initializing
> lirc_zilog: chip found with RX and TX
> lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
> Zilog/Hauppauge i2c IR 2-0071: firmware: requesting haup-ir-blaster.bin
> lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR blaster firmware version 2.1.0 loaded
> lirc_zilog: initialization complete
>

> I use a custom kernel 2.6.33.6 and on this link is the configuration file
> http://pastebin.ch/5899
>
> My devices comes here :
>
> user at luxeria001:~$ ls -al /dev/lirc*
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 61, 0 2010-08-03 19:37 /dev/lirc0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    19 2010-08-03 19:38 /dev/lircd ->
> /var/run/lirc/lircd
> user at luxeria001:~$
>

> My configuration file comes here :
>
> # /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
> #
> #Chosen Remote Control
> REMOTE="hdpvr"
> REMOTE_MODULES=""
> REMOTE_DRIVER=""
> REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
> REMOTE_SOCKET=""
> REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF=""
> REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""
>
> #Chosen IR Transmitter
> TRANSMITTER="blaster"
> TRANSMITTER_MODULES="lirc_zilog"
> TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
> TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
> TRANSMITTER_SOCKET="/var/run/lirc/lircd1"
> TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
> TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""
>
> #Enable lircd
> START_LIRCD="true"
>
> #Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
> #START_LIRCMD="false"
>
> #Try to load appropriate kernel modules
> LOAD_MODULES=""
>
> # Default configuration files for your hardware if any
> LIRCMD_CONF=""
>
> #Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
> #If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
> #that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
> #frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
> #It will then populate all other variables without any user input
> #If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
> #to leave this set to "false"
> FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"
> START_LIRCMD=""
> user at luxeria001:/etc/lirc$
>
> Every Time I try to send a simple command I get this ....
>
> user at luxeria001:~$ irsend -d /dev/lircd SEND_ONCE blaster 1_1_KEY_6
> irsend: command failed: SEND_ONCE blaster 1_1_KEY_6
> irsend: hardware does not support sending
> user at luxeria001:~$
>
> Has someone  a sugestion ? or a stupid hint ?
>
> IMHO the HDPVR is a  great Hardware for Transcoding to h264 but the ir part

Yes, the IR is still rather flakey.  I got it working on my system
after months of trying, but it would lock up my HD-PVR, thus it was
mostly pointless to run it.

My hardware.conf is as follows:

# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="HD-PVR"
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_zilog"
REMOTE_DRIVER=""
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="/etc/lirc/lircd.conf"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Chosen IR Transmitter
#TRANSMITTER="blaster"
#TRANSMITTER_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_zilog"
#TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
#TRANSMITTER_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
#TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
#TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
#TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Enable lircd
#START_LIRCD="false"
START_LIRCD="true"

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD="false"

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES="true"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF=""

#Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
#If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
#that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
#frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
#It will then populate all other variables without any user input
#If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
#to leave this set to "false"
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"
START_LIRCMD=""

----

You'll notice that the Transmitter config is commented out.  That's
based on a comment I saw from Jared Wilson that said it's unnecessary
since you only have 1 device.  And I can indeed confirm that it is
unnecessary.